Wednesday, September 9, 2009

First Day of School!


Hugo's new classroom


Biking to school!


Our 1st day of school breakfast pancakes




Portia's Cubby (with princess tag)


Our Yellow House


Portia's tribute to Hugo




Walking to class!



9-9-09 was a huge success. Hugo had a great first day of Kindergarten! The early 8-8:15 start will take some getting used to, especially with Portia who is a late sleeper. Hugo announced his wish to bike to school; Daddy and I followed on foot. We were so proud of him as he shook his teacher's hand and happily walked right on in to his classroom. He joined right in and seemed at home. There were no tears. We hugged, kissed and left the room, greeted many friends - and then wandered around the back of the building to take a peek at our baby boy (how I will likely forever refer to him- he's already consented to a lifetime of being infantilized by me, at least by name) ... this is when my knees buckled and the tears came. Those beautiful brown eyes caught mine, he walked over to the window, waved with that little hand (that will forever be the 'little hand' that gripped my index finger with such strength in the delivery room at NYU Medical Ctr) and mouthed "I love you, Mama." I love this child. After a brief coffee in the library with other parents, we headed home to gather Portia whose day began an hour later than her brother's. Her first day at preschool without her best friend, Hugo. She did marvelously. It felt good to be back in the warm, loving hands of our nursery school. The school I swear I just signed Hugo up for....wasn't that just last week? The day started with her drawing a rainbow and signing the back with two names. Portia and Hugo. He's in her heart and on her mind; but boy oh boy is she ever just fine! She loved her day and proclaimed at the end of the day that she wanted to be an "every day kid" - as opposed to the three-day-a-week kid that she indeed is. Needless to say, I am perfectly happy with 3days. And that's where we're staying. I am proud of them both. And looking forward to a great year ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment