These are the keys. And we're lucky to live in an area where we have access to these--they shouldn't be considered luxuries, but they sure seem to be when you walk the aisles of Stop and Shop. I had a changing experience last week at Guilford's Women and Family Life Center last week at a screening of FRESH, followed by a discussion with Dr Kelly Brownell of Yale's Rudd Center. An eye-opening film and discussion about the health and environmental consequences of an increasingly industrialized model of agriculture. It wasn't all doom and gloom, though; the film offers very encouraging solutions, ones that we can put to use in our daily selection of what to serve ourselves and our families. Also worth watching is Food, Inc.,a film featuring author Michael Pollan- author of the Omnivore's Dilemna and a book I am currently reading In Defense of Food.
Here are some links to local resources:
www.ctgreenscene.com
www.ctfarmfresh.org
www.cityseed.org
www.localharvest.org
Be and eat well!!
-- as I crawl into bed, all these thoughts of food contamination and healthy eating dissipate as I relive a moment with Hugo tonight, sitting on my lap referring to me as "Mrs. Wonderful." And apropos food, what a great day both children had at school today, all in celebration of the upcoming holiday. Portia's class made cranberry orange relish; Hugo's class was responsible for 3 Sisters' Soup and cornbread; the other K classes made pumpkin pie, cranberry sauce and a variety of other celebratory foods. All 3 classes joined together for a collective feast. Never had I before heard a child rave so about a bean, squash and sweet potato soup! It's all about being involved in the prep!
Monday, November 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment