Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Not for lack of support

Ahem. Well, you win some, you lose some. Hate to admit it, but today the better team won. But first, gotta set the scene. It's no secret that we've passed the 100 degree mark, 2 days in a row now. No relief in sight until Sunday. It was, therefore, greeted with less than jubilee when I showed up at 12 instead of 3 to pick Chach up from tennis/swim camp and told him he had to emerge from the one place in New Haven that offered some relief. It says a lot when 88 degree water seems refreshing.

Not a big fan of the DVR and wanted to watch the match live with both children. On the way home from camp, he suddenly announced: "I actually have to admit, Mama, I am kind of excited to watch the World Cup." Indeed, we were all pretty excited to watch a match that we were sure would end up in the fatherland's favor. We looked the part, we cheered, we danced, we screamed. And and and and. To no avail.

A few Hugo soundbites from today's viewing:

-"This is sort of actually kind of boring. The Germans are playing pathetically. I wish I could just go kick a German in the butt."

-With sadness, having left the room to mourn, with only 10 seconds left in the game: "Can't they have a second chance?!?"

-With great worry: "Will Germany still be able to play in the next World Cup?"

-And, finally, after all is said and done, most emphatically: "I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS HAPPENING!!!"






Things could really only get better. And boy did they. Went straight back to the pool and saw some of the best swimming from these fishies yet. Peanut is most fond of the underwater breast stroke which she now confidently swims in the deep end from side to side. And Hugo has founded a new style from the diving board, the "Flying Squirrel." Pencil dives, block dives, deep end swimming...so much progress in such a short time. I guess we have this heat wave to thank! Clocking so much time in the water really has paid off.







No comments:

Post a Comment