Monday, November 22, 2010

What to do with that forgotten bottle of Agave Nectar?

Make the tastiest, EASIEST banana bread ever! So happy to have come across this recipe. I've got to share it since I hope it will become a staple in your house as it has in ours. Not only have I finally used up the nectar that sat and sat without a purpose for over a year, I've replenished our supply with the biggest bottle I could find. This is easy, it's great to do with children, and, best of all, it's healthy. Not a given with banana bread.
Courtesy of Food and Wine mag:
1/4 cup canola oil
1 cup all purpose baking flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
3 ripe/overripe mashed bananas
1/3 cup agave nectar
1/3 cup soy milk, unsweetened
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 350. Lightly oil 8.5 x 4.5 inch loaf pan.
In a medium bowl whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In another bowl, whisk the bananas with the oil, agave nectar, soy milk and vanilla. Add banana mixture to the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 45 min or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool.

Easier than easy.

Made one today with H who was home today with a cold. In addition to baking this loaf, we played "Macaroney Club". We had a grand old time hanging out in his loft which he had decked out as a vessel we were sailing around the world in search of the long-lost "macaroney." Turned out to be a sorely needed geography refresher for me. I could now successfully navigate, if I knew how to sail, from Iceland south to meet the Strait of Gibraltar, through the Mediterranean, cruise by Egypt into the Gulf of Aden, navigate through the Red Sea and sail due east to Australia. It was a pretty great sick day.

1 comment:

  1. this is great timing as I have overripe bananas and agave in the pantry (although i don't usually have any issue using mine!) Thanks so much for posting!

    ReplyDelete