It's Christmas time, and that just means I blast the Messiah at deafening levels. In the car, in the house. This is just the only way to fully experience this music. In the car on the way home after a (so) fun couple of hours with my babes on a search for a gift for sister from brother, I not only had Prince of Peace cranked, but I, too, was belting away. I love love love this music. (the awesome recording, courtesy of Marna, only adds to the brilliance of it) I didn't sense that H and P were really getting why their mom was singing away like a maniac in the front seat, probably needing to pull over. So, after Prince of Peace ends, I turn down the music, and, at a stop light, turn around and explain to them that, "This music is transformative, it's other-worldly, it's intense beyond compare, it's so gorgeous that I just have to play it super loudly. It just makes me feel so alive!" To which Hugo, exasperated, says: "But you're already alive, Mama." Not all hope is lost, though, since when we pulled into the driveway, after the 3rd run through Prince of Peace, Hugo says: "I have to admit, Mama, I actually do really like it." And then came the echo from Portia. See, it's all a matter of exposure.
Earlier that afternoon, goofing around in the kitchen, Hugo laughingly says to Portia: "I could take you down if I had a little more fat." I think I did fall off my chair. We're always commenting on how Hugo's a danger to himself what with his bones knocking into eachother. Zero insulation on this child. It's cute when he can poke fun at his own skinniness with comments like 'taking his sister down'.
Saturday, December 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I share your enthusiasm - if you want some fun, download The Roches Christmas album - they do a great rendition of the Hallelujah Chorus. If you are really want to go out on a limb, check out the soulful messiah - produced by Quincy Jones. Not all of the movements are good but a few are total keepers...oh the highest volume.
ReplyDelete