Wednesday, September 7, 2011

First Day

It's hard to believe, but both littles are now in elementary school. Half days first week for kindergarteners are a little godsend for parents, at least ones like me who still have a foot in the 92nd Street Y Little Explorers class. Off we paraded with umbrellas this morning after a really great, full summer. I am happy to say I am not the teary mess I was 2 years ago when I first sent Hugo off into the land of 'guess what, teachers get to spend more time with your kid than you do now' ... adding insult to injury that year was infiltrating a breakfast hosted by a dear friend, walking into her living room of nursing mothers. And so started the flood of tears. This year, no nursing mothers in sight, and while there's a certain sadness, there's also a comfort knowing the 2 angels are a stone's throw from one another on campus. Portia is settled in her classroom which is familiar since it was also Hugo's K classroom. Different cast of teachers, including a brand new one to the school. Peanut seemed happy to be there as we said our goodbyes this morning; parting words last night at bedtime: "I'm so excited for tomorrow, Mama." And easygoing sweetheart that she is, she assessed the various dresses and skirt/top combos we'd chosen for school and said: "That's an option, yes, that's an option...I'll decide in the morning." And decide she did, within half a second of getting up- which was also unexpectedly painless. She's a sleep in child 200% and so when she got up with no prompting at 7:15 ready to face the day everything just got off to an easy start. Chachi will miss his friends who were in class with him last year and have moved on to 3rd grade; but he'll be a grown up 2nd grader in class with new 1st graders this year. I am sitting here at my desk looking at a lineup of his kindergarten artwork and a sweet picture he drew of himself at a desk with two chairs. Each child was asked to announce his/her goals: Subtitling his picture was his goal: "I want to learn to read and write better." Well, sweetheart, I have to say, you've more than met this goal. You're nearly finished with the seventh and last Harry Potter book. Way to go!!! What'll be next?

You are both quite the little racers, I know:

(Labor Day road race, approaching finish line)



BUT, let's craaawwwl through elementary school, promise?


(pre morning WET trek to school this a.m.)

LOVE you.

2 comments:

  1. As nostalgic as I am for myself, I think it must be even harder with two now pretty much on the way. Good luck! Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy first week! Sounds like Mama is coping very well, I'm happy for all of you. Our first day of preschool is Weds. and I'm counting down the days although I'm sure anxiety will strike on Tuesday night. Big hugs and I'll keep you posted as to when we reschedule our trip east.

    ReplyDelete