Wednesday, June 9, 2010

NY, NY

What a day Chach and I had. Despite my aversion to Metro North, we headed in via train (Hugo's choice)to NYC, just the two of us, yesterday. After a decade of living in NY, I had never been to the Empire State Bldg. And so to the top we went. My boy and I. Hard to imagine getting to the top with crowds. We had a mild day of traffic, and still we wove and wove through the hallways, in and out of a multitude of elevators. After three minutes at the top, Hugo, whose idea it was to go to the ESB in the first place, was ready for pizza. (I have to say, I am glad to have finally been to the top. Really beautiful views. Though really sad to recall the breathtaking views once upon a time from the Towers downtown) To the subway we headed, after first catching two NYC cops who in typical friendly NYC cop style were all too eager to pose with Hugo. Off we went to our old pizza haunt in Carnegie Hill. After 7 slices of, we swear, the best pizza we know, Hugo had more than enough room for a frozen treat. Especially knowing that his sister had had one moments earlier with Daddy back home. (Peanut had a day of golf, tennis, swimming and Ikea meatballs topped off with Ikea ice cream- all with Daddy) Ciao Bella ice cream beckoned, though first we had to stop in to 1230 Park Ave and see if our old friends Fabio, Diego and Jose were still manning the door. And they were! I was greeted with a hearty "Oh, hello, Mrs Chung!!" After startling at how Hugo had grown, Fabio shakes his head and says: "Oh, Mrs. Chung, you better watch out. This one, he's a heartbreaker." I assured him that steps were in place already to prevent any female access to "this one." Ice cream in hand, we stopped in the park to enjoy, followed by a visit to Carnegie Hill Obstetrics. Not for any reason other than to satisfy my sentimental streak in popping in to see the doctor who delivered by baby boy. I mean while on Memory Lane, why not come full circle? Beloved Dr Rebarber was in the house! It seems like yesterday that he and I were staring at Hugo on an ultrasound screen. Fast forward to the present and here's my Hugo: a regular proper gentleman shaking the good doctor's hand and introducing himself. Time to hit the zoo, only Hugo's increasingly weary legs begged for a cupcake and some lemonade instead. So wonderful to have some time alone together, in the city we still call home. A day I'll always remember, especially the worn out Chachi falling asleep on my lap on the train ride home.




NYU Medical Center, Hugo's birthplace







Yet another kiss?



Slice 1 of 7

No comments:

Post a Comment